Without the opener (the motorized device that is part of the door system, not the remote control or keypad), your garage door wouldn’t be able to operate. However reliable your garage door opener may be, it probably won’t last forever.
So when should you get a new garage door opener? If yours is broken and your garage door isn’t working properly, get in touch with us!
How Long Do Garage Door Openers Last?
On average, a garage door opener should last about 10 – 15 years. Some last longer and some last a shorter amount of time, but keeping up with maintenance can help increase the lifespan. If moving parts aren’t lubricated, the door isn’t balanced correctly, etc., the opener tends to wear out more quickly.
The best thing you can do to ensure your garage door opener lasts as long as possible is to keep up with professional maintenance. This typically includes:
- Visual inspection of the springs, rollers, cables, track and pulleys
- Lubrication of moving parts to ensure smooth operation
- Door balance
- Reversal test
- And more
Should You Replace Your Garage Door Opener?
If you have an older garage door opener, you may want to consider replacing it. Reasons to replace include:
- Safety: It’s recommended to replace openers made prior to 1993. Many old models aren’t equipped with infrared sensors or other external entrapment protection devices and don’t meet today’s standard for garage door safety. For this reason, we think that all openers made before 1993 should be replaced.
- Noise Control: Newer models tend to be quieter in operation than older ones.
- Convenience: Many newer garage door operators are available with convenient battery backup systems. Overhead Door’s garage door opener batter backup system can run up to 50 cycles in 24 hours after the initial power outage.
Garage Door Services in the Cincinnati Area
If you need a new garage door opener—or any other service for your door—look to the team at Overhead Door Co. of Greater Cincinnati. We have experience working with all types of garage doors and look forward to helping you.
Contact us to learn more about our services or to schedule a consultation!