Do you need a new garage door? Need to repair your door? Perhaps you’re doing some research, trying to find companies located near you. Unfortunately, this can be more difficult than you may think sometimes. Why? Scammers may try to rip you off.
Tips for Finding Reputable Companies
So how do you choose the best companies and avoid the scammers (or just plain bad companies)?
- Look for signs that confirm the company’s authenticity. While a “meet the team” section on their website or a picture of the outside of their office is nice, the more important thing to consider is their vehicles. Is the company’s name on their vehicles? A phone number? Beware of so-called company vehicles that don’t have any markings or signs that they are legitimate.
- Make sure the company is licensed. Hiring a company without the proper licenses (and insurance) is a disaster waiting to happen. You can be held liable for injuries, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. A whole host of problems can arise from working with unlicensed, uninsured contractors. Check with your local consumer affairs office to make sure the company you hire is licensed.
- Ask for recommendations and see references. Asking a friend, family member, neighbor, etc. is always helpful. Also be sure to look for testimonials on a company’s website—and don’t hesitate to ask for references you can contact when you talk to the company. A reputable company will happily provide references.
Sadly, so-called garage door contractors try to rip off unaware homeowners. The Rossen Reports team actually conducted a hidden-camera investigation in suburban New York. The home included a garage with a door in good condition, as verified by two independent, certified experts. They rigged the door with a small problem. Equipped with a hidden camera, the homeowner called repair companies to inspect the garage, which was rigged with additional hidden cameras. According to the experts, a qualified repairman would require “about a minute” to fix the problem. The results were astonishing.
The additional tips below can help you find—and avoid—the bad companies and ensure you hire the best one, but they aren’t necessarily deal breakers:
- Look at reviews and professional websites. If you want to select the absolute best companies, look at company testimonials, reviews on sites like Yelp, and websites like BBB (do they have an A+ rating?).
- Look for awards. Although not necessary, awards reflect stellar service and the company’s dedication to providing complete customer satisfaction. This can give you peace of mind.
- Ask about specials and coupons. Installing a new garage door can be a pretty big investment. Does the company offer any specials? This can help make things a bit less stressful!
- Consider the scope of their services. Do they offer just one service? Do they only install one type of door? A garage door company with experience installing different types of garage doors—from residential carriage style to commercial heavy-duty insulated steel—is more likely to have more experience and can be better to work with.
Garage Door Installers Serving the Cincinnati Area
Are you looking for a good garage door company in the southwestern Ohio area? Overhead Door Co. of Greater Cincinnati™ can help. Browse our website, do more research and give us a call—we’re happy to answer any and all of your questions.
Contact us today to learn more about our services or to start your project!