Garage door openers make it far more convenient to park in your garage and use it for storage, but they do add extra complexity.
If your garage door isn’t opening or closing all the way, if it closes, then immediately opens again or is acting strange in any other way, there may be a problem with the limit switches. In many cases, they may simply need to be reset.
Get expert help with your garage door problems by calling Overhead Door Company of Greater Cincinnati™ today at (513) 394-6938 or contacting us online.
What Is a Limit Switch?
A limit switch is a mechanical switch that signals your garage door opener when the limit of travel for your garage door is reached in one direction or the other.
Typically, there is one limit switch that detects when the garage door is closed and one that detects when it’s fully open.
How To Set Garage Door Limits
If you suspect you’re having garage door limit switch problems, here are the steps that are necessary to adjust the garage door limit settings based on the issue you’re experiencing:
The Garage Door Won’t Open Completely
- Open your garage door and measure the distance between the bottom of the garage door and the top of the garage door opening.
- Use a screwdriver to adjust the “Up” limit switch adjuster on the side of the garage door opener.
- Turn the screw clockwise about one turn for every three inches higher that the door needs to travel.
- Test the door and adjust again, if needed.
The Garage Door Won’t Close Completely
- Press the button to close the garage door and measure the gap between the garage door and the ground.
- Use a screwdriver to adjust the “Down” limit switch adjuster on the side of the garage door opener.
- Turn the screw counterclockwise about one turn for every three inches more that the door needs to travel.
- Test the door and readjust, if necessary.
The Garage Door Closes, Then Opens Again
- Press the button to close the garage door.
- If it closes then opens again, adjust the “Down” limit switch adjuster.
- Turn the screw clockwise one turn at a time until the door remains closed when the “Close” button is pressed.
- Test the door several times and adjust as required.
Garage Door Repair in Cincinnati, OH
When you need help with garage door limit settings, or you need more serious repairs for your garage door, contact our team at Overhead Door Co. of Greater Cincinnati.
With a team of skilled professionals and a focus on customer service, you can count on us for quality products and great-looking, professional results.
Contact our team or call (513) 394-6938 to schedule garage door repairs in the greater Cincinnati area.