If you think your home is secure, stop and consider your garage door. In many cases, this is the weakest link in home security. Summer is also a big vacation time, where homes can be even more vulnerable.
Fortunately, with these tips, you can help prevent garage door break-ins (even when you’re away):
Increasing Garage Door Security
- Install a wireless keypad and disable the emergency release lever: The purpose of an emergency release is to allow you to get inside if you accidentally lock yourself out. A wireless keypad serves the same purpose. By installing one, you can confidently disable the emergency release lever and eliminate the ability for thieves to break in using the coat hanger trick.
- Swap your clip-on garage door remote for a keychain version: It’s easy to leave your garage door remote in the car, but this makes it easy for thieves to steal. A small keychain version goes with you everywhere to help prevent garage door break-ins.
- Cover the windows: Put a stop to prying eyes by covering any windows in your garage with blinds, shades or using frosted glass.
- Install motion sensor lights: A sudden flood of light across your driveway will help deter intruders that approach your garage door after dark.
- Lock the entry door to the house: If burglars break into your garage, at least keep them out of the living area by always locking the door between the garage and the house.
- Reinforce the lock on your service door: Install a high-quality dead bolt, heavy-duty strike plate and reinforced hinges to prevent a brute-force break-in through your service door.
- Cut the power when you leave town: If you have an automatic garage door opener, unplug it. Otherwise, padlock the latch or put a bolt through a hole in the garage door track.
- Install a garage door timer: How many times have you forgotten to shut the garage door when you get home from work? As night falls, this is an open invitation to intruders. With a timer, the garage door will automatically close after a predetermined amount of time.
Schedule Garage Door Services in Greater Cincinnati
If you’re interested in installing a more secure garage door, enlist the help of Overhead Door Co. of Greater Cincinnati™. We can help you enjoy the convenience of an automatic garage door while helping to prevent garage door break-ins at the same time.
To learn more about increasing garage door security, please contact us today!